wtorek, 4 grudnia 2012

Tricks for web development enviornment on Windows

Usually I do work on my laptop running Debian. However my desktop PC is running Windows and I don't wanna change it (gaaameees <3).
Recently I found that sitting in front of big screen have many pros and that's why I started to looking for things that would speed up working with many projects.

First of all I installed XAMPP.
Next, in Apache documentation I found module called vhost_alias which allows to map requested address to local file system without touching mod_rewrite rules.
I store my projects in D:/Projects so it looks like following (replace in http-vhosts.conf):


<VirtualHost *>
UseCanonicalName Off
VirtualDocumentRoot "D:/Projects/%1/
<Directory "D:\Projects">
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Next I had to manually add entries to windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file, which maps domains to IP address before making DNS request. I found opening this file as administrators really boring plus it took so many time. 
In about 10 minutes I wrote application in C# which allows me to modify this file. It's simple, without support for comments (it will ommit them when saving again):
You can download it here: HostsEditor.exe
Beware: Bitdefendeer removed contents of my hosts file after I added mapping for google.com :P

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz